June 30, 2014
Practice notes are issued by the Law Society for the use and benefit of its members. They represent the Law Society’s view of good practice in a particular area. Legal practices are increasingly using cloud computing as an alternative to ‘traditional’ IT provision. Cloud computing has a number of advantages, but it also carries risks which your firm should navigate carefully.
The following section of the SRA Code are relevant to this issue:
- Principle 5: You must provide a proper standard of service to your clients.
- Principle 7: You must comply with your legal and regulatory obligations and deal with your regulators and ombudsmen in an open, timely and co-operative manner.
- Principle 8: You must run your business or carry out your role in the business effectively and in accordance with proper governance and sound financial and risk management principles.
- Principle 10: You must protect client money and assets.
- Chapter 7 of the SRA Code on management of your business.